Thursday, August 30, 2007

Buried Treasure




"What on earth was I thinking?" I wondered, as I looked in the basket that was still more than half-filled with crocus bulbs. I'd been planting them in the lawn; stomping down on a punch-like device, dropping in a tiny bulb, and then putting the plug of dirt and grass back into each hole for most of the day.

How could there be so many bulbs in the basket? There wasn't a whole lot of lawn left.

In desperation, I turned to the flower beds. I tossed aside the official bulb planting device and grabbed my shovel. It was time for a trench. I dug around the shrubs and perennials and dotted the newly turned earth with crocus bulbs. Much faster. Yup, this was doable after all. I planted the last of them under the roses; there wouldn't be much happening with the rosebushes when these babies came up, and I called it a day.

As I washed the dirt off my hands and arms I pictured a sea of purple on bare earth; we would have an early spring.

© 2007 Cynthia Newcomer Daniel

Copper, lampwork by Lorraine of Glass and Splinters. Hand fabricated.

No comments: