Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Tourmaline in Lace




And now for something completely different.

I'd been wanting to get back to making bobbin lace with wire for some time now, but had so many new things I wanted to try that it got pushed onto the back burner. But this weekend, I got a bee in my bonnet, and decided to give it a go in gold-filled wire. The thinnest size I had on hand was 26 gauge, so, of course, I decided to use it. This is the heaviest wire I've ever tried to make lace with, and it has a very different look and feel to it. It made a very firm and stiff cuff -- 26 gauge definitely behaves considerably more like wire than do the thinner gauges! I added the pearls and tourmaline in rows to emphasize the very geometric nature of this cuff. There is more than 35 feet of gold-filled wire in this bracelet; it isn't heavy, but it does have a very substantial feel to it.

1 comment:

Koukkuhelmi said...

This is just so BEAUTIFUL! I've been admiring your work all along (from the newest posts) :-)