Wednesday, September 17, 2008

I thee wed




How long had she been planning this day? Since before she could remember, she'd dreamt of being a bride. She lifted the lid of the old cedar chest that would one day be hers, and gently took out her great-grandmother's veil. The silk netting was gossamer thin and the color of heavy cream; the lace was handmade and as delicate as a spider's web. Under it was more silk; yards and yards of embroidered antique silk, gathered onto a bodice that clung to her every curve and fit like a dream.

She'd always known that she would wear these things; she'd grown up looking into this cedar chest and dreaming of this day. She didn't want a new dress, a new veil, a trip to a trendy and expensive fashion designer's salon. She wanted to greet this day clothed in all the love and lace that her mother, grandmother, and great-grandmother had handed down; she wanted to bring that love to her husband and share it with him.

© 2008 Cynthia Newcomer Daniel

Seed beads, freshwater pearls and gold-filled findings. Hand woven and embroidered bead lace. Hand fabricated.

3 comments:

The Beading Gem said...

The necklace is absolutely stunning!

Joann Loos said...

Lovely necklace! My wedding dress like the one described in your story. It's been worn by my grandmother, my mother, myself, my brother's wife, and my second cousin. I can't wait to see who will wear it next!

Beverly Herman said...

I love your stories. The necklace is gorgeous. I love the combination of stitches